The international portion of my “round the world” journey begins in less than a week, and I am so excited that I might explode! I am headed to Cartegena, Colombia on August 25, 2013. I am currently registered for six weeks of Spanish language classes at Centro Catalina Spanish language school. Centro Catalina has set me up to live with a local Colombian family, so I can completely immerse myself in the language and the culture. After I become fluent, I will continue traveling through Central and South America. I have no set plans after the first six weeks in Cartegena, so I guess I will sort that out when the time comes. Any suggestions are welcome!
It’s been almost four months since I left San Francisco on this adventure. I can say that time moves slower when you aren’t working and you don’t have a set schedule of things to do or a ton of friends around. I did my fair share of sitting by the pool this summer. Luckily, I do feel like I accomplished a few things staying in the U.S. for the first four months of my RTW. Below is a list of when I have done:
1. Spent quality time with my friends and family, especially my wonderful mom.
2. Checked “Visit All 50 States” off my bucket list.
4. Completed the Duolingo Spanish language iPhone app.
5. Gained 10 lbs. driving around the country noshing on health food choices like Memphis BBQ and Chicago Pizza.
6. Lost the 10 lbs. with a crazy diet called “Eat Less/Better and Exercise More”. I also give credit to Evolution Fitness bootcamp with Jenny, Just Fitness Classes, the documentary “Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead”, Gracie’s Gear Virtual Training, my friend Lauren Gendler‘s “SugarFree3” plan, and a juicer.
7. Got used to not having many “things” and even harder still, not buying more things.
8. Mentally prepared for a life of full time travel.
So, in the next week I am trying to finish up last minute details, planning, packing. One detail for friends and family, I will be shutting off my cell phone and I will lose the 444 phone number. I am planning on getting a SIM card for my iPhone and a local phone number in Colombia, but until that happens, email or Facebook will be the best way to contact me.
Hasta la vista baby!