Deciding what to pack for my “Round the World” has been
stressful fun. I have researched this topic to death, and I have read pages and pages of packing lists on what I will want and need. The common theme I heave heard time and again, “Take half of what you think you need” and “Pack light!”. As a former safety consultant, I think that I need to be “prepared for anything”. The reality is that I am not going to be away from civilization for long periods of time, and I can buy just about anything anywhere I go. What I am struggling with most is that I already have many things, so I want to bring them instead of buying them on the road as I need them. For example, I am starting in a hot climate in South America, but eventually I’ll be in cooler climates. So do I bring my awesome down puffer coat and Merrell boots now? Or just buy them again later? Or have them shipped to me later when I need them? These are the questions keeping me up at night.
So, here it is, everything I am bringing (including things crossed out that I thought of bringing and then decided against). Too much? Not enough? Let me know what you think in the comments below.
- Flip Flops (x2) – Havaianas
- Flats (1) – Tieks
- Sneakers (2) – A light walking pair and a heavier hiking/running pair. I know. Too many.
Boots (1) – Merrell’s
- Socks (4)
- Slipper/Socks (1)
- Jeans (1) – Joes Jeans
- Skirts (1)
- Long Yoga Pants (1) – Lululemon Studio Pant
- Cropped Yoga Pants (2) – Lululemon Step Lively
- Shorts (1) – Old Navy
- Workout Shorts/PJ Bottoms (1)
- Dresses (2) – Peacock dress!
- Tank Tops/Sleeveless Shirts (5) – Also for working out, cause that’s gonna happen.
- Short Sleeved Shirts (3)
- Long Sleeved Shirts (2)
- Black Windbreaker Jacket (1) – Lululemon
- Black Light Jacket (1)
Puffer Coat Rain Poncho (1) – It’s raining in Cartegena! Zip Up Sweater
- Bathing Suits (2)
- Thongs (14)
- Boy Shorts (6)
- Regular Bras (3)
- Sports Bras (2)
- Sunglasses (2) – Ray Bans and Maui Jims
- Sarong/Scarf (1) – Thanks Iris!
- Buff “Hat” – Thanks Ruby!
- Jewelry – a couple pairs of hoop earrings, a few necklaces, nothing expensive or valuable
- Watch (1) – Swatch
Wooly hat Gloves Baseball cap
- Hiking hat (1) – Patagonia
- Acetaminophen PM
- Excedrine Migraine
- Prescription Levothyrox
- Sinus Decongestant
Vitamins Cipro – Antibiotic
- Doxycycline – Anti-Malaria
- Anti-Itch Cream
- Antibiotic Ointment
- First Aid Kit
- Travel Cable & Lock
- Duct Tape
- Super Glue
- Pepper Spray
- Small Sewing Kit
- Swiss Army Knife
- Dreamsack – I’ve never used this, and not really sure if I ever will?
- Ear Plugs
- Eye Pillow – My favorite “luxury” item, so good for jet lag-induced headaches.
- Cable Ties
- Water Bottle
- Carabiners – This is apparently a “must have”, but I have no idea when I will use these.
Sink stopper– If I really need to do laundry in a sink, I’ll use a sock as a plug. Utensils Flask –I don’t drink hard alcohol.
- Corkscrew – I do drink wine!
- Umbrella (Small)
- Antibacterial Wipes
Quick dry towel– will use sarong if needed
- Plastic Ziplock Bags
- Thank You Cards
- Pens & Sharpie
- Traveling Translator Guide with Pictures to Point At – Thanks Sabeena!
- Journal Books – Thanks Karen!
- Moo Cards – to give out my contact info when I make friends on the road
- Dive Card/Dive Book – hoping to get more use from this
- Exercise Band – Ha! I’m so sure I’ll use this daily.
- Playing Cards
Toiletries – I know I have over packed here, but hey, I’m a girl
- Bug Spray
- Eyes Cream
- Face Cream
- Face Wash
- Pocket Mirror
- Dental Floss
- Deep Conditioner
- Dry shampoo
- Hair Ties
- Hair Clip
- Chap Stick (x2)
- Nail Clippers
- Nail File
- Eyelash Curler
- Eye Shadow
- Face Powder
- Eye Liner
- Kindle & Charger
- iPhone 4S & Charger
- Halo Pocket Power – Back-Up Charger for iPhone – Thanks Linda!
iPad & Charger– Gave to my sister Julie Small Alarm Clock– I’ll just use my iPhone
- Sony CyberShot Camera & Charger – I might not take this. I have been using my iPhone exclusively for photos for over a year, and not sure I need to have another device
- ASUS Laptop & Charger – I mentally debated taking this, but ultimately decided that I want it.
- International Converter
- Grid-It Organizer – This thing is pretty cool.
- Passport with Kate Spade Cover – Thanks Lisa!
- Health Insurance Card – Blue Shield says they’ll cover me on the road!
- Real Wallet & Dummy Wallet – One to give to theives? I have read a lot about this “dummy wallet”, but I don’t know anyone who actually had to use this tactic. I just plan on not carrying much with me.
- 500 US Dollars
- 600,000 Colombian Pesos
- Chase Sapphire Visa Credit Card – Primary credit card with no international fees
- Edward Jones Master Card – Back-up credit card
- Charles Schwab Debit Card – Primary ATM card with no fees
- Edward Jones Debit Card – Back-up ATM card
- Bank of America Debit Card – Back-up to the back-up ATM – I really don’t want to keep this account open, but it has my business account on it and all of my automatic bill pay, so…
- Old Student ID – For student discounts? I am not sure if I can still pass as a student?
- Primary Suitcase – Eagle Creek Twist 65L – a rolling bag/backpack hybrid.
- Carry-On Bag – Timbuk2
- Purse – Baggallini Amsterdam Crossbody
- Extra Duffle Bag
Ok, that’s about it. Comment/criticize/judge me below. Also, if you want to get an email when I post a blog, click the “+ Follow” in the lower corner of this page.